Old Fashioned Pot Roast. Delicious pot roast – the meat stays together so it is easily sliced but tender too fabulous gravy. This is an old recipe, pretty much as I've been doing it ever since I can remember, and not far removed from how my mother did it when she was raising three. Old fashioned pot roast in the crockpot slow cooker from scratch.
When I first started crockpotting, my potroasts were pretty one-note. A good old fashioned pot roast calls for a chuck roast in my eyes. Chuck is an economical cut of beef that is pretty tough and fatty, but very flavorful, and requires a low and slow braise for several hours in just a bit of liquid, making it a great roast to plan for Saturday or Sunday dinner for most of us. You can cook Old Fashioned Pot Roast using 11 ingredients and 11 steps. Here are the ingredients and how to cook it.
Ingredients of Old Fashioned Pot Roast
- You need 4 lb of beef roast.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of flour.
- You need 3 tbsp of oil.
- You need 2 of stalks of celery.
- It’s 4 large of potatoes (can use new potatoes) if u use new potatoes you will many more than 4 … maybe 8.
- It’s 1/2 packages of baby carrots.
- You need 1 envelope of onion soup mix.
- Prepare 1 envelope of brown gravy mix.
- You need 1 large of fresh onion (minced) divided in half.
- Prepare 2 cup of water or broth.
- Prepare 1 of salt, pepper, garlic powder….
Find gluten-free, heart-healthy, vegetarian, vegan, Instant Pot, slow cooker, sheet pan, seafood recipes, and more. Or if you're simply looking for a healthy chicken dinner, you'll find that, too. Learn how to make Old-Fashioned Pot Roast. Instant Pot Old-Fashioned Pot Roast with Gravy & Vegetables is the best pot roast I've ever made.
Old Fashioned Pot Roast instructions
- *** sprinkle roast liberally with pepper, and garlic powder. and lightly with season salt. I rub the seasoning into the meat by hand… the brown gravy and onion soup mix are high in sodium..
- dredge roast through flour. fry in oil until both sides are brown. doesn't have to cook just brown. this step is important to help to form gravy or thick juice..
- coursely cut up potatoes. cut celery into 2" pieces..
- put all the veggies in a bowl with 1/2 the onion. lightly salt add pepper. hand mix..
- put a slow cooker liner in your crockpot..
- ROAST CAN BE PUT IN A BAKING BAG OR THE PRESSURE COOKER. If pressure cooker is used. cook on Med for 45 Minutes. if you use a baking bag cook for about 1 1/2 hrs at 350°. if you use a crockpot cook 8-10 hrs on low or 6 hrs on high..
- the instructions are given for a crockpot. put veggies in the crockpot and put roast on top.. it will keep veggies moist. put celery and onions on top of roast..
- put onion mix and gravy mix in bowl with water or broth…mix well until dissolved pour over roast and cook for designated time as posted in #6….
- **** after roast is eaten I save the leftovers juice to boil egg noodles in. the broth can be strained and frozen for future use. I'll put that recipe on my profile..
- SOMEONE ADDED IN THE REVIEW IT TAKES 8 HRS TO BAKE… EVIDENTLY THIS PERSON HAS NOT COOKED THIS. … this roast can be cooked in a roaster that has a lid … or in an aluminum roaster covered tightly with aluminium foil… for 1 1/2 – 2 hrs…..
- **** several people mentioned the gravy was thinner than they like…. when u get ready to cook the roast add 3 Tbsp of flour to a 1/2 coffee cup full of COLD water … put this in the bottom… the oils and broth from the meat will season this… in mine I mix the onion soup mix… gravy mix… and flour from frying the roast……
This easy, one-pot dinner is a family favorite! Brown the roast on all sides, then remove it from the pot and set it aside. Old-Fashioned Pot Roast recipe: Try this Old-Fashioned Pot Roast recipe, or contribute your own. In a Dutch oven, brown the roast on all sides in half of the butter. Add the water, bouillon, onion, celery, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.